Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Steffi Buchler. Transcript. Youtube. 21 May 2016.


  Hi guys. I hope you’re doing well. Today, I’m going to talk about a girly topic. So if you’re a guy and you don’t want to hear me talk about periods and stuff, then you shouldn’t watch this video. I wanted to talk about a method that I started using while I’m on my period the is eco-friendly. If you’re interested in finding out more about the menstrual cup and my Experience with it, then just keep on watching.
  I’ve been using a menstrual cup for two cycles now, and if you’re wondering what a menstrual cup is, it looks like this.

  It looks quite a bit bigger than a tampon. Mine is really nice and purple and comes with a ring at the end.

  I’m using the Meluna M, and it comes in this satin kind of bag.

  I purchased it from a German drugstore called Diem, so if you have that in your area, especially if you’re from Germany or Austria, you will find it easily there. If not, you can also order them online. I’ll try and put a link down below. But you don’t have to get this one. There are a lot of different menstrual cups out there suitable to your size and body, and also the strength of your flow. And whether you’ve had children or not. I just went with this one, because I have two friends using it, and they recommended it to me, I actually have three friends using it, and they both liked it. That’s why I went with it.
  I first heard about menstrual cups quite a few months ago, in full when I was talking to some of my friends. One of them said that she had started using one recently, because a friend of hers introduced her to it while they went camping. She said that she was so Happy that she had it with her, because if you’re camping and you always have to dispose of your tampons or your pads, it’s quite annoying. If you’re in Nature, you can’t always throw them away, so you have to carry them with you through your whole trip. Everyone said that that’s quite inconvenient. I also started thinking about Festivals and stuff where it would be a lot easier to have a different way to soak up your blood.
  My friend was using the Mooncup, I think, and she said she really liked it. So, I really wanted to try that as well, even though I was a bit unsure about it, because I never quite got used to tampons, because I always thought they felt really uncomfortable for me, because I don’t like the feeling of having something inside me and also, because there is the risk of getting Toxic Shock Syndrome, which always scared me a bit as a hypochondriac. So, I went with pads, which was fine, but it was kind of annoying. If you’re a girl, you understand the problem. After my friend suggested the Mooncup, I went to a natural shop in Luxembourg, but they didn’t have the Mooncup, they only had the Diva Cup, which is another type of menstrual cup, and I got that. I was really excited to try it out for my next cycle, but my Experience with the DivaCup was terrible. At first, it took me a while to practice different folding techniques and getting it in, because as you’ve seen, it’s bigger than a tampon. There are different folding methods, which I’ll show you later in this video. With DivaCup, I managed to put it in and I left it in for three or four hours. But after that, I got kind of nervous, and I wanted to get it out again and that was almost impossible. It was really difficult to get it out. I struggled for quite a while. I got quite anxious, because I thought that I wouldn’t be able to get it out anymore. I was panicking. My mom wasn’t there to help me out, either. In the end, I got it out but after that I was kind of shocked and I was like I’m not sure if I want to use this again, because it really made me uncomfortable. Having something in your body and not being able to get it out.
  For a while I was like, That’s it for the menstrual cup, I’m not going to use one anymore. I had two cycles in between where I didn’t it anymore. I went back to pads. While I was using pads again, It would be a lot easier if I was just using menstrual cup. So I started doing some research, and I found out that there were more brands. And because two of my friends got the Meluna, they said that liked it and they never had any problems with not being able to get it out, I decided to buy the Meluna. Then I had my first cycle with it. Obviously because I had the Experience with the DivaCup which wasn’t as nice, I was anxious that the same would happen to me again. This time around, I was really surprised. I had really no difficulties to get it out. I think it’s because it has quite a different shape than DivaCup. It’s more round at the bottom and it has a ring instead of a stem. So that made it a lot easier for me to grasp it and to get it out.
  When I first started using it, I had some problems with leaking. I would always recommend, if you’re getting used to a menstrual cup, to wear some organic cotton pads, which is what I did, in case there is a little leaking accident or whatever. My first cycle with Meluna was really. I started to really like it, because if you’re wearing it, it feels like you’re not on your period. I heard so many People that have used the menstrual cup tell me that. That’s just, you know, What else would you like. Most of them, you can wear up to eight hours, but I’ve used it for a bit more than that and there’s no problem with that. Because if you’re using tampons and you’re wearing them for a longer period of time, you are at a higher risk of getting Toxic Shock Syndrome, whereas with the menstrual cup, that can’t happen, because it’s not absorbing anything it’s just collecting. The only thing that can happen if you wear it for a longer period of time is that it will overfill and leak. That never happened to me. If you want to wear it in the evening and you go to bed at ten, but you want to sleep in and you wake up at ten again, it’s been in for twelve hours. I don’t think that’s going to be a problem. It’s just that it can leak, of course.
  What I really like about it is that it doesn’t really feel like you’re wearing anything. With tampons, I always had the feeling that I could feel them inside and it’d make me uncomfortable and they always wanted to get it out again as soon as possible. With the menstrual cup, if it fits right, you’re not feeling that it’s there and it just collects your blood. At the end of the day, you just take it out and you clean it with water and you can put it in again. Another important thing to mention is that once you finish your cycle, or you if you happen to accidentally drop it during your period or it falls into the toilet, which has happened to me before, you have to sterilise it. And for that, you just put it in boiling water for a few minutes. Mine says three minutes on the instructions, and then you put it back in your bag, and you can keep it for the next period. Overall, I’ve used mine for two cycles now, and I’m sold. I think it’s such a good way, and such a good Invention as well, because it’s a lot more handy you’re out and you don’t want to have any waste. If you’re someone who like to travel outdoors a lot, it’s really convenient. If you’re exercising as well, because you know. There is a suction, which you always have to watch out for but it explains all that in the booklet that comes with your menstrual cup. After it’s sucked into your tube, that’s why it can’t leak. If you’re moving around, it will not overfill or leak. It’s really convenient for that.
  The most important reason is that it’s eco-friendly, which is why I started using it as well. I’m an ethical vegan and I’m trying to care more about the Environment and using less plastic and less waste. I think if you’re interested in that, getting a menstrual cup and switching to that kind of collection method on your period is a great Idea.
  I can show you a few folds. As you can see, because it’s quite big, you’re not just going to insert it like that. The most common folds are either the C fold, which you just fold it into two and that looks like that.

  I don’t really don’t like this fold that much. I tend to use the punchdown fold, which is where you just push down and then it looks like that, so a lot smaller and then you just insert it like that.


  If you decide to use a menstrual cup, you will obviously get more into contact with your body and to your blood as well, so it may be something new to you. I don’t see anything wrong. It’s not a problem for me. I just got used to it and it allows you to learn more about your body and how everything works. Even though you will be in contact with your blood, but it’s just your own blood. It’s okay.
  So that was my little more unusual video where I’m talking about a Product. As you know me, I don’t like to make you buy things or review Products or talk about anything that’s related to Consumerism, because. I think this is actually against Consumerism, because if you use a menstrual cup, you can keep it up to ten years and you will save a lot of Money on buying tampons and pads, which is great. I think this menstrual cup cost me about 15€. Most of them are between 10-20€. You will save a lot of Money compared to your usual tampon or pad expenses.
  That was it for this video. I hope you liked it. If you did, give it a thumbs up and subscribe to my channel if you haven’t already. I will be very looking forward for my next video. Bye, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment