Saturday, November 18, 2017

Kate Plays Christine (2016). DVD, Deleted Scene, Ethics of Documentary Filming.







1.       We were shooting at a bar. I was sitting at the corner of the bar, dressed as Christine.
2.       So at first, the man to my left was speaking to me. He knows the camera immediately, then that launched the conversation between the two of us about the film. And so I felt fine about that, because he was, well, intoxicated, he was given all the information.
3.       Then a man approached me and sat to the right of me. He came up and delivered pick-up line. And then [unclear] for a little while, he was flirting with me, but also he was very drunk and slightly aggressive. And the man to my left was giving him a look “you’d better back off”. And they didn’t tell him at that point that there was a camera filming me.
4.       And then he moved in closer, and he put his hand on my back, and we got into conversation about what we did for a living, and that is absolutely when I should have told him that he was being filmed, and what I do is I’m an actor. But I felt like he wouldn’t react favourably. He was very, very close to me and have been slightly aggressive earlier. And so I panicked and lied about what I did for a living and quickly extracted myself from the situation.
5.       But later on when he was asked to sign the release form. I don’t know what your conversation was like with him. From what I gather, it seems like he had a very light and friendly reponse to you.
6.       But then given some time to think about what happaned, he came over to our table and sort of delivered this incredibly sobering speech about how the July 4th and how he was a veteran and how he had fought for our country, and how Bennett and I, we were pretty young women, had also lied to him and had tricked him. He was under the impression that we were trying to embarrass him. And he told us we shouldn’t treat anyone that way, especially someone who had fought for the country.
7.       And he just sort of, and he was just right. I had lied to his face and he had come over in a very earnest manner to try to pick me up. Yes, it happened a little bit aggressively, but his intentions were truthful and very transparent, and mine were completely false.
8.       And he just made a number of other sick points. He said, we may be living our artistic lives, maybe he would have liked to have one as well, but he didn’t have the luxury to be able to do that in his life. [Accurate.]
9.       And a number of other points that are a little unclear to me now. I was halfway through my [drink] at the time. But it was a tricky situation, and he was certainly, I thought, was very, very much put me in my place in the school of ethics of documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment