396. AIR DATE: 12/30/11 PROGRAM: A Remembrance of People Who died in 2011 GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Ellen Stewart, Founder, La Mama Experimental Theater Club [3/23/1992] / Wilfrid Sheed, Novelist; Critic [6/29/1992] / Reynolds Price, Novelist [1/21/2011] / Duke Snider, Baseball Hall of Fame [6/14/1994] / David Broder, the Washington Post [3/9/2011] / Warren Christopher, Former U.S. Secretary of State [1/31/2001] / Lanford Wilson, Playwright [3/24/1993] / Geraldine Ferraro, Former Vice Presidential Candidate [11/3/1993] / Reverand Peter Gomes, Author; Harvard University [12/24/2007] / Leonard Lomell, U.S. Army Rangers [6/8/2009] / Manning Marable, Columbia University [4/21/2003] / Sidney Lumet, Director [4/14/1995] / Norio Ohga, Former Chairman, Sony [4/16/1993] / Bill Gallo, Cartoonist [5/1/2000] / Lawrence Eagleburger, Former Secretary of State [7/13/1995] / Peter Falk, Actor [3/13/1995] / Art of Lucian Freud [8/1/2011] / Wangari Maathi, Nobel Peace Prize Winner; Green Belt Movement [11/6/2006] / Steve Jobs, Former CEO, Apple [10/30/1996] / Derrick Bell, Harvard Law Professor [7/28/1997] / Andy Rooney, Host, “60 Minutes” [5/4/1995] / Theodore Forstmann, Chairman & CEO, IMG [11/22/2011] / Tom Wicker, Journalist, the New York Times [6/12/1996] / Christopher Hitchens, Author [12/16/2011] / Vaclav Havel, Former President, Czech Republic [9/13/2000] / Helen Frankenthaler, Artist [4/12/1993].
397. AIR DATE: 12/29/11 PROGRAM: Book: “My Song, A Memoir” (Taped at the 92nd Street Y) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Harry Belafonte, Actor; Singer; Activist.
AIR DATE: 12/28/11 PROGRAM: Why Shakespeare:
“Macbeth” & “King Lear” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Liev Schreiber, Actor / Jim
Shapiro, Columbia University / Kenneth Branagh, Filmmaker.
AIR DATE: 12/27/11 PROGRAM: Theater: “The
Mountaintop” / Cooking GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Kenny Leon, Director / Katori Hall,
Playwright / Samuel L. Jackson, Actor / Angela Bassett, Actor // Jacques Pepin,
Chef; Author, “Essential Pepin”
AIR DATE: 12/26/11 PROGRAM: Movies: “Sherlock
Holmes: A Game of Shadows” / “Coriolanus” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jude Law, Actor
/ Ralph Fiennes, Actor; Director
401. AIR DATE: 12/23/11 PROGRAM: Movies: “We Bought a Zoo” // Books: “The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War against Al Qaeda” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS:
Matt Damon, Actor / Cameron Crowe, Director //
Ali Soufan, Former FBI Agent; Author.
402. AIR DATE: 12/22/11 PROGRAM: Movies: “In the Land of Blood and Honey” // Books: “Sharon, the Life of a Leader” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS:
Angelina Jolie, Director / Rade
Serbedzija, Actor / Zana Marjanovic, Actor // Gilad
Sharon, Son of Ariel Sharon, Author.
403. AIR DATE: 12/21/11 PROGRAM: A look back at the year 2011 GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Brooks, the New York Times
404. AIR DATE: 12/20/11 PROGRAM: North Korea & the death of Kim Jong-Il / Higgs Boson (aka the “God particle”) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Sanger, the New York Times / Jeffrey Bader, The Brookings Institution / Christopher Hill, former U.S. Envoy to North Korean Nuclear Talks // Lisa Randall, Physicist
405. AIR DATE: 12/19/11 PROGRAM: Presidential Election 2012 // Appreciation of Vaclav Havel GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mitt Romney, Presidential Candidate // Excerpts from interviews with Vaclac Havel, former president of Czech Republic, playwright [10/27/1995; 9/13/2000].
406. AIR DATE: 12/16/11 PROGRAM: Year-end New York Times panel // Russia /// Christopher Hitchens Appreciation [clip from 8/13/10] GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jill Abramson, Executive Director, “The New York Times” / Thomas L. Friedman, Columnist, “The New York Times” / David Leonhardt, Washington Bureau Chief, “The New York Times” // David Remnick, “The New Yorker”
407. AIR DATE: 12/15/11 PROGRAM: Movie: “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Fincher, Director / Daniel Craig, Actor / Rooney Mara, Actor / Christopher Plummer, Actor / Stellan Skarsgard, Actor / Robin Wright, Actor
408. AIR DATE: 12/14/11 PROGRAM: Time Magazine Person of the Year: “The Protester” // Movie: “The Help” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Richard Stengel, Managing Editor, “Time” Magazine / Kurt Anderson, “Time” Contributor // Viola Davis, Actress
409. AIR DATE: 12/13/11 PROGRAM: Theather: “Krapp’s Last Tape,” a play by Samuel Beckett // China GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: [Betty Liu fills in for Charlie Rose for tops] John Hurt, Actor // Zhang Xin, CEO, Soho China
410. AIR DATE: 12/12/11 PROGRAM: Why Shakespeare Series GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Michael Boyd, Director, Royal Shakespeare Company
411. AIR DATE: 12/09/11 PROGRAM: European Debt Crisis / Libya GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Gillian Tett, U.S. Managing Editor, The Financial Times / Robert Rubin, Former Secretary of the Treasury // Bernard-Henri Levy, Philosopher, Author, “War without Love”
412. AIR DATE: 12/08/11 PROGRAM: Western Civilization’s rise to global dominance and its future // History of Jerusalem /// Photography GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Niall Ferguson, Harvard University, Author, “Civilization: The West and the Rest” // Simon Sebag Montefiore, Author /// John Loengard, Photographer, “Age of Silver: Encounters with Great Photographers
413. AIR DATE: 12/07/11 PROGRAM: Politics: 2012 Presidential Elections / Syria GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Matthew Dowd, ABC News; Bloomberg View / Clarissa Ward, Foreign Correspondent, CBS News
414. AIR DATE: 12/06/11 PROGRAM: Movies: “Moneyball” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Brad Pitt, Actor / Jonah Hill, Actor / Bennet Miller, Director
415. AIR DATE: 12/05/11 PROGRAM: Brain Series – Year 2; Episode 2: Conscious and unconscious cognitive processes in the brain GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Eric Kandel (Guest Co-Host), Columbia University, Nobel Laureate / Patricia Churchland, University of California, San Diego; Salk Institute / Stanislas Dehaene, College de France / Timothy Wilson, University of Virginia / Nicholas Schiff, Weill Cornell Medical College.
416. AIR DATE: 12/02/11 PROGRAM: Animation GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: John Lasseter, Director and Chief Creative Officer, Pixar Animation Studios.
417. AIR DATE: 12/01/11 PROGRAM: Politics: 2012 Presidential Campaign / Karl Marx // Jack Reacher Novels GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Politics / E-book: “The Right Fights Back”: Mike Allen, Chief White House Correspondent, Politico / Jon Meacham, Executive Editor, Random House / Evan Thomas, Professor, Princeton University // Mary Gabriel, Author, “Love and Capital: Karl and Jenny Marx—and the Birth of a Revolution.” /// Lee Child, Author, “The Affair.”
418. AIR DATE: 11/30/11 PROGRAM: Occupy Wall Street (OWS): Los Angeles protests // Foreign Affairs: Middle East; Nuclear Weapons; Terrorism; Energy Policy. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: OWS: Antonio Villaraigosa, Mayor of Los Angeles, California (remote via Los Angeles) // Gen. James L. Jones, Former National Security Advisor to President Obama.
419. AIR DATE: 11/29/11 PROGRAM: Occupy Wall Street (OWS) // Technology GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: OWS: John Heilemann, “New York Magazine” / Mattathias Schwartz, “New Yorker Magazine” // Tech: Marc Benioff, Chairman & CEO, Saleforce.com
420. AIR DATE: 11/28/11 PROGRAM: China // Movies GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Ezra Vogel, Professor Emeritus, Harvard Univsity; Author, “Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China” // Alexander Payne, Director, “The Descendants.”
421. AIR DATE: 11/25/11 PROGRAM: Presidential Elections & Effort to start a third political party // Golf GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Khalil Byrd, Americans Elect / Elliot L. Ackerman, Chief Operating Officer, Americans Elect // Dave Stockton, Former Professional Golfer
422. AIR DATE: 11/24/11 PROGRAM: Movies & Movie Stars: “My Week with Marilyn” / Life & Career of Diane Keaton GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Michelle Williams, Actress / Ken Branagh, Actor / Simon Curtis, Director // Diane Keaton, Actress
423. AIR DATE: 11/23/11 PROGRAM: Afghanistan / Counterterrorism post 9-11 / Why Shakespeare GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jake Tapper, White House Correspondent, ABC News // Eric Schmitt, “The New York Times,” Author, “Counterstrike” / Tom Shanker, “The New York Times,” Author, “Counterstrike” /// Nick Schifrin, ABC News / David Kastan, Professor, Yale University.
424. AIR DATE: 11/22/11 PROGRAM: Egypt // Ted Forstmann Appreciation GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Naguib Sawiris, Founder, Free Egyptians Party (remote via Cairo) // George Shultz, Former Secretary of State / Andy Lack, CEO, Bloomberg Media Group / Sandra Dzankovic, Everest, Friend of Ted Forstmann / Everest Forstmann, Son of Ted Forstmann / Siya Forstmann, Son of Ted Forstmann
425. AIR DATE: 11/21/11 PROGRAM: Politics // Corporate Ethics GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Brooks, Columnist, “The New York Times” // Dov Seidman, Author, "How: Why How We Do Anything Means Everything"
426. AIR DATE: 11/18/11 PROGRAM: Iran and The Middle East GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mohammad-Javad Larijani, Head of Iran’s Human Rights Council
427. AIR DATE: 11/17/11 PROGRAM: College sports and Penn State scandal // The Highline Panel GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Taylor Branch, Author, “The Cartel: Inside the Rise and Imminent Fall of the NCAA” Joe Nocera, Columnist, “The New York Times” / Jon Wertheim, Senior Writer, "Sports Illustrated" // Amanda Burden, Chair, New York City Planning Commission / Diane Von Furstenberg, Designer / Joshua David, co-founder, Friends of the High Line / Robert Hammond, co-founder, Friends of the High Line.
428. AIR DATE: 11/16/11 PROGRAM: Theater: “The Infernal Comedy: Confessions of a Serial Killer.” / China today GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: John Malkovich, Actor // Jing Ulrich, Global Markets Chairman-China, J.P. Morgan
429. AIR DATE: 11/15/11 PROGRAM: Israel; Iran; Palestinian Statehood; Arab Spring / Future of Iraw after departure of US troops GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Ehud Barak, Defense Minister of Israel // Tim Arango, Correspondent, “The New York Times” / Michael Schmidt, Correspondent, “The New York Times” / Jack Healy, Correspondent, “The New York Times”
430. AIR DATE: 11/14/11 : PROGRAM: Supreme Court review of Healthcare Reform law / Reforming Congress //“King Lear” /// Philanthropy GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Laurence Tribe, Professor of Law, Harvard University // Lawrence Lessig, Professor, Harvard University; Author, "Republic Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress and A Plan to Stop It." /// Sam Waterston, Actor //// Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen, Founder, Silicon Valley Social Venture Fund, Author, “Giving 2.0”
431. AIR DATE: 11/11/11 PROGRAM: Facebook (taped at Facebook headquarters in Palo Alto, California). GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mark Zuckerberg, Founder and CEO, Facebook / Sheryl Sandberg, COO, Facebook (rebroadcast from 11/07/11)
432. AIR DATE: 11/10/11 PROGRAM: Shakespeare Series “Why Shakespeare” – Premier: The genius of William Shakespeare / “Hamlet” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Oskar Eustis, Artistic Director, The Public Theater / Barbara Gaines, Director, The Chicago Shakespeare Theater / Stephen Greenblatt, Author, “The Swerve” / Michael Boyd, Director, The Royal Shakespeare Company / Harold Bloom, Shakespeare Scholar
433. AIR DATE: 11/09/11 PROGRAM: Cars and the automobile industry GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Robert A. Lutz, Author, "Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business." // [Bob Lutz joined by] Elon Must, Co-Founder and CEO, Tesla Motors.
434. AIR DATE: 11/08/11 PROGRAM: Business and Leadership GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jim Collins, Author, “Great By Choice: Lessons That Apply Not Only To Business But Also To Human Beings.”
435. AIR DATE: 11/07/11 PROGRAM: Facebook (taped at Facebook headquarters in Palo Alto, California). GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mark Zuckerberg, Founder and CEO, Facebook / Sheryl Sandberg, COO, Facebook.
436. AIR DATE: 11/04/11 : PROGRAM: Politics / G20 & Greek Debt Crisis / Preview of Facebook / Books GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mark Halperin, “Time” magazine, Co-Author, “Game Change” / Maggie Haberman, Politico // G20: Gillian Tett, U.S. Managing Editor,“Financial Times” / Ian Bremmer, President, Eurasia Group /// Mark Zuckerberg, Co-Founder, Facebook / Sheryl Sandberg, COO, Facebook //// Joan Didion, Author, “Blue Nights.”
437. AIR DATE: 11/03/11 PROGRAM: Brain Series – Year 2; Episode 1: Neurological, Psychiatric and Addictive Disorders GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Eric Kandel (Guest Co-Host), Columbia University, Nobel Laureate // Gerald Fischbach, Columbia University, Simons Foundation Autism Project // Thomas Insel, National Institute of Mental Health at the National Institute of Health // Nora Volkow, National Institute of Drug Abuse at the National Institute of Health // Cornelia Bargmann, Rockefeller University
438. AIR DATE: 11/02/11 PROGRAM: Turkey & Economy / Shakespeare GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Rahmi Koc, Koc Holding Honorary Chairman // Stephen Greenblatt, Author, Professor, Harvard University.
439. AIR DATE: 11/01/11 PROGRAM: Books GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Tom Brokaw, Author, “The Time of Our Lives” // Calvin Trillin, Author, “Quite Enough of Calvin Trillin.”
440. AIR DATE: 10/31/11 PROGRAM: Biography of Jack Kennedy / Global Economy GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Chris Matthews, Author, “Jack Kennedy: Elusive Hero”; Host, MSNBC’s “Hardball” // Lionel Barber, Editor, “The Financial Times.”
441. AIR DATE: 10/28/11 : PROGRAM: Greece / “The Economist” magazine panel on Europe and global economy GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Stavros Lambrinidis, Foreign Minister of Greece // Zanny Minton Beddoes, Economics Editor, “The Economist” / Greg Ip, U.S. Economics Editor, “The Economist” / John Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief, “The Economist.”
442. AIR DATE: 10/27/11 PROGRAM: Israel / Shakespeare (an excerpt from upcoming Shakespeare Series) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Amos Oz, Author, “Scenes from Village Life” // Stephen Greenblatt, Harvard University; Author, “The Swerve: How the World Became Modern.”
443. AIR DATE: 10/26/11 PROGRAM: Philosophy / Cybercrime GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Slavoj Zizik, Philosopher // Misha Glenny, Author, “Darkmarket, Cyberthieves, Cybercops and You.”
444. AIR DATE: 10/25/11 PROGRAM: Biography of Steve Jobs GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Walter Isaacson, CEO, Aspen Institute; Author, “Steve Jobs.”
445. AIR DATE: 10/24/11 PROGRAM: Financial Regulatory Reform / Occupy Wall Street GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Paul Volcker, Former Chairman, Federal Reserve // Amy Goodman, Host, “Democracy Now” / Chris Hedges, Author, “The Death of the Liberal Class.”
446. AIR DATE: 10/21/11 PROGRAM: Economy & Jobs / Global Economy & Turkey GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Steve Case, White House Council on Jobs and Competitiveness // Sureyya Ciliv, Ceo, Turkcell.
447. AIR DATE: 10/20/11 PROGRAM: Libya; Gadhafi death / Economics GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Ignatius, The Washington Post (remote via Washington) / Lisa Anderson, President, American University in Cairo / Hisham Matar, Libyan Writer, Author, “Anatomy of a Disappearance.” // Economics: Ray Dalio, Founder, Bridgewater Associates.
448. AIR DATE: 10/19/11 PROGRAM: Architecture / “Catch 22” 50th Anniversary Panel GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Rem Koolhaas, Dutch Architect // Robert Gottlieb, Editor “Catch 22” / Mike Nichols, Director / Christopher Buckley, Author.
449. AIR DATE: 10/18/11 PROGRAM: Supreme Court; Justice Stevens talks about his book, “Five Chiefs: A Supreme Court Memoir” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: John Paul Stevens, Retired Supreme Court Justice.
450. AIR DATE: 10/17/11 PROGRAM: Liberia / The New York Times GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Leymah Gbowee, Nobel Laureate // Jill Abramson, Executive Editor, “The New York Times.”
451. AIR DATE: 10/14/11 PROGRAM: Politics (with Al Hunt of Bloomberg News as Guest Host) / Television & Music GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Matt Bai, The “New York Times" / Jackie Calmes, the "New York Times" / Joshua Green, "Bloomberg Businessweek” //
Hall, Singer / Songwriter (new album: “Laughing Down Crying).
452. AIR DATE: 10/13/11 PROGRAM: Debate over China’s Currency (with Betty Liu of Bloomberg Television as Guest Host) / Islam GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Nouriel Roubini, Roubini Global Economics / Richard McGregor, Washington Bureau Chief, Financial Times // Robin Wright, Author, “Rock the Casbah.”
453. AIR DATE: 10/12/11 PROGRAM: Occupy Wall Street / Iran & Saudi Arabia / China & Chinese entrepreneurship GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: William Buster, Spokesperson, Occupy Wall Street / Marshall Ganz, Kennedy School, Harvard / Jared Bernstein, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities/ Paul Krugment, The New York Times// Iran: John Miller, Former FBI Official / Roya Hakakian, Author, “Assassins of the Turquoise Palace” /// China: Boming Wang, President, Stock Exchange Executive Council / Edward Tian, Chairman, China Broadband Capital Partners.
454. AIR DATE: 10/11/11 PROGRAM: Live show taped after the Republican Presidential debate at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, moderated by Charlie Rose, Karen Tumulty, and Julianna Goldman [A special edition of Charlie Rose]. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Karen Tumulty, The Washington Post / Julianna Goldman, Bloomberg News / Al Hunt, Bloomberg News / Matthew Down, Bloomberg Analyst / Mark Halperin, “Time” Magazine / Rich Lowry, National Review / Dan Balz, The Washington Post.
AIR DATE: 10/10/11 PROGRAM: Metropolitan
Opera / Golf GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Opera: Anna Netrebko, Opera Singer / Peter
Gelb, General Manager, Metropolitan Opera / Stephen Costello, Opera Singer //
Golf: Gary Player, Hall of Fame Golfer.
456. AIR DATE: 10/7/11 PROGRAM: Remembering Steve Jobs GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: [Interview for Bloomberg] Eric Schmidt, Chairman, Google / Marc Andreessen, Co-founder, Andreessen Horowitz // Excerpts from the archives: guests talk about Steve Jobs: Steve Wozniak, Co-founder, Apple Computer / Lawrence Joseph Ellison, Founder and CEO, Oracle Corporation / Robert Iger, President and CEO, The Walt Disney Company / Ken Auletta, The New Yorker / Walter Mossberg, The Wall Street Journal / Paul Allen, Philanthropist / Marc Andreessen, Co-Founder, Andreessen Horowitz / Joe Roth, Director, “Freedomland” / Kurt Andersen, Author.
457. AIR DATE: 10/6/11 PROGRAM: Movies / Remembering Steve Jobs GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: George Clooney, Actor, Director, “The Ides of March” // Excerpts from interview with Steve Jobs in 1996 and his Stanford University commencement speech.
458. AIR DATE: 10/5/11 PROGRAM: Politics: Campaign 2012: Gov. Chris Christie’s announcement that he will not seek the Republican nomination // Technology: the Future of Social Media. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Politics (2 separate segments): Ken Langone, Co-Founder, Home Depot // Al Hunt, Bloomberg News / Kevin Sheekey, Bloomberg News /// Tech: Jeff Weiner, CEO, Linkedin / Reid Hoffman, Executive-Chairman, Co-Founder, Linkedin.
459. AIR DATE: 10/4/11 : PROGRAM: Politics: Campaign 2012: Gov. Chris Christie’s announcement that he will not seek the Republican nomination // Technology: the Future of Social Media. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Politics (2 separate segments): Ken Langone, Co-Founder, Home Depot // Al Hunt, Bloomberg News / Kevin Sheekey, Bloomberg News /// Tech: Jeff Weiner, CEO, Linkedin / Reid Hoffman, Executive-Chairman, Co-Founder, Linkedin.
460. AIR DATE: 10/3/11 PROGRAM: New book about the roots of financial crisis in several European countries. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Michael Lewis, Author, “Boomerang.”
461. AIR DATE: 09/30/11 PROGRAM: [20th Anniversary of “Charlie Rose” on PBS] U.S. and Global Economy // Anwar al-Awlaki killed in a U.S. drone strike GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Warren Buffett, CEO, Berkshire Hathaway // David Ignatius, “The Washington Post” / Eric Schmitt, “The New York Times” / John Miller, Former Assistant Deputy Director of National Intelligence.
462. AIR DATE: 09/29/11 PROGRAM: Burma (Myanmar) [Tape at the 2011 Clinton Global Initiative Event, in Washington D.C.] // Politics: Presidential Campaign 2012: Whether NJ Governor Chris Christie will run for the Republican nomination. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Burma: Aung San Suu Kyi, Burmese Opposition Leader / Desmond Tutu, Archbishop of South Africa / Bill Clinton, Former President of the United States // Politics: Jack Welch, Former CEO, General Electric / Thomas de Frank, “N.Y. Daily News” / Matthew Dowd, Former Strategist for George W. Bush; Columnist / John Harris, “Politico” / Nia-Malika Henderson, “The Washington Post.”
463. AIR DATE: 09/28/11 PROGRAM: U.S.-China Relations (The Sino-U.S. Business Leaders’ Partership Initiative) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Guo Shuqing, Chairman, The China Construction Bank / Gao Xiqing, President, The China Investment Corporation / Zhou Wenzhong, former ambassador from China to the United States.
464. AIR DATE: 09/27/11 PROGRAM: Russia and the Fall of the Soviet Union, 20 Years Later [A Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Event taped in the Knight Studio at the Newseum, Washington, D.C.] GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Lawrence Summers, Former Treasury Secretary / Brent Scowcroft, Former National Security Advisor / Zbigniew Brzezinski, Former National Security Advisor / Stephen Hadley, Former National Security Advisor.
465. AIR DATE: 09/26/11 PROGRAM: Palestinian bid for statehood with the United Nations (U.N.) Security Council. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Benjamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of Israel.
466. AIR DATE: 09/23/11 PROGRAM: China // U.S. – India Relationship /// Iran GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: China: James “Jim” Fallows, “Atlantic Monthly Magazine,” // India: K. Shankar Bajpai, Ambassador of India /// Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, President of Iran.
467. AIR DATE: 09/22/11 PROGRAM: U.N. General Assembly: Palestinian Statehood GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Saeb Erakat, Chief Palestinian Negotiator // Ron Prosor, Israel’s Ambassador to the United Nations / Mortimer (Mort) B. Zuckerman, Chairman and Editor In Chief, “U.S. News & World Report.”
468. AIR DATE: 09/21/11 : PROGRAM: U.N. General Assembly & Middle East Affairs: Turkey / Arab Spring: Egypt GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Prime Minister of Turkey // Ethar El-Katatney, Egyptian Journalist.
469. AIR DATE: 09/20/11 : PROGRAM: U.N. General Assembly / Middle East Affairs: Palestinian Statehood; Iran – U.S. Relations. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Tony Blair, the Quartet Representative to the Middle East // Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, President of Iran.
470. AIR DATE: 09/19/11 PROGRAM: U.N. General Assembly: Palestinian Statehood; Middle East Affairs GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: William Hague, British Foreign Secretary // Prince Turki Al-Faisal, Former Saudi Ambassador to the United States and United Kingdom.
471. AIR DATE: 09/16/11 PROGRAM: Politics / Physics GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Politics: Simon Schama, Professor, Columbia University // Physics: Lisa Randall, Professor, Harvard University; Author, “Knocking on Heaven’s Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universal and the Modern World.”
472. AIR DATE: 09/15/11 PROGRAM: Economy: European Debt Crisis / Moderating Presidetial Debates / Books & Movies GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Economy: Ian Bremmer, President, Eurasia Group / Gillian Tett, U.S. Managing Editor, “Financial Times” / Zanny Minton Beddoes, Economics Editor, “The Economist” Magazine // Presidential Debates: James (Jim) Lehrer, Former Anchor, “PBS Newshour”; Author, “Tension City” /// Books: Peter Bart, Author, “Infamous Players: A Tale of Movies, the Mob and Sex.”
473. AIR DATE: 09/14/11 PROGRAM: Politics: State and Local Elections / Movie: “Contagion” / French History & Travel GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Politics: Jeff Zeleny, The New York Times // Movie: Steve Sederbergh, Director / Scott Z. Burns, Screen Writer / Dr. Ian Lipkin, Director, Center for Infection and Immunity, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University; film consultant /// History: Ina Caro, Author, “Paris to the Past.”
474. AIR DATE: 09/13/11 : PROGRAM: The 10th Year Anniversary of 9/11 – The rebuilding of Ground Zero // The opening of the National September 11 Memorial GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Larry Silverstein, President and CEO of Silverstein Properties / Chris Ward, Executive Director of the Port oAuthority of New York and New Jersey / David Childs, Architect; the lead designer of Oen World Trade Center / Daniel Libeskind, Architect; designer of the site’s original master plan / Paul Goldberger, Architecture critic, “New Yorker” magazine; Author, “Why Architecture Matters.” // Michael Arad, Designer of the 9/11 Memorial.
475. AIR DATE: 09/12/11 PROGRAM: The 10th Year Anniversary of 9/11 GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York.
476. AIR DATE: 09/9/11 PROGRAM: The 10th Year Anniversary of 9/11: National Security / 9-11 Commission Report / CBS Documentary: “9/11: Ten Years Later” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Janet Napolitano, Secretary, U.S. Departyment of Homeland Security // Philip Zelikow, Author; Professor, Uiversity of Virginia ///
Gedeon Naudet, Filmmaker /Jules Naudet,
Filmmaker / James Hanlon, Co-Director; Former Firefighter
477. AIR DATE: 09/8/11 PROGRAM: Politics, Economy, 2012 Presidential Election, and President Obama’s Jobs Speech GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Kenneth (Ken) Rogoff, Harvard University / Nia Malika Henderson, “The Washington Post” / Carl Schramm, CEO of Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation / John Heilemann, “New York Magazine” / Mark Halperin, Senior Political Analyst, “TIME” Magazine / Andy Stern, Senior Fellow, Georgetown Public Policy Institute; Former President of SEIU.
478. AIR DATE: 09/7/11 PROGRAM: Friedman and Mandelbaum discuss their new book, "That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It” // Book on 9/11 Photography, “Watching the World Change.” Invented and How We Can Come Back." GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Thomas (Tom) Friedman, “The New York Times” / Michael Mandelbaum, Johns Hopkins University // David Friend, Editor of Creative Development, “Vanity Fair.”
479. AIR DATE: 09/6/11 PROGRAM: Defense, Military, Budget, Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Terrorism, War. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Leon Panetta, Secretary of Defense of the United States.
480. AIR DATE: 09/5/11 PROGRAM: Summer Recess Show: Creativity GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Chuck Close, Painter / Dr. Eric Kandel, Professor, Columbia University / Ann Temkin, Chief Curator of Painting and Sculpture, Museum of Modern Art / Richard Serra, Sculptor / Oliver Sacks, Neurologist.
481. AIR DATE: 09/2/11 PROGRAM: Summer Recess Show: Miscellanous GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Zach Galifianakis (rebroadcast from 10/8/10) / Steve Martin (rebroadcast from 11/23/10) // Robert Duvall (rebroadcast from 1/5/11) /// Jean Pigozzi (rebroadcast from 12/23/10).
482. AIR DATE: 09/1/11 PROGRAM: Summer Recess Composite Show: Symphonic and Operatic Music GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Valery Gergiev, Conductor, London Symphony Orchestra / Sir Simon Rattle, Artistic Director and Chief Conductor, Berlin Philharmonic / Antonio Pappano, Music Director and Chief Conductor, Royal Opera house in London.
483. AIR DATE: 08/31/11 PROGRAM: Summer Recess Composite Show: Music GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Patti Smith (rebroadcast from 1/13/11) / Sting (rebroadcast from 12/10/10) // James Taylor (rebroadcast from 2/16/11) /// Willie Nelson (rebroadcast from 5/12/10).
484. AIR DATE: 08/30/11 PROGRAM: Summer Recess Composite Show: “Vanity Fair” / the film “The Dutchess” // U.S. Open Tennis Championship. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Graydon Carter, Editor, “Vanity Fair” // Keira Knightley, Actress, “The Dutchess” /// Serena Williams, U.S. Open Tennis Champion.
485. AIR DATE: 08/29/11 PROGRAM: Summer Recess Composite Show: Different Women, Different Professions GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Keira Knightly, Actress (rebroadcast from 5/16/11/) / Rula Jebreal, Journalist, Author (rebroadcast from 3/24/11) //
Christy Turlington, Model, Filmmaker,
“No Woman, No Cry” (rebroadcast from 4/28/11) /// Zhang Xin, CEO, Sojo
China (rebroadcast from 7/20/11).
AIR DATE: 08/26/11 PROGRAM: Summer Recess
Composite Show: Writers on Writing GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Salman Rushdie, Author,
“Luka and the Fire of Life” (rebroadcast from 12/29/10) // Roger Rosenblatt,
Author, “How to Write a Sentence and How to Read One” / Stanley Fish, Author,
“Unless It Moves the Human Heart: The Craft and Art of Writing” (rebroadcast
from 6/1/10) /// Nicole Krauss, Novelist, “Great House” (rebroadcast from
AIR DATE: 08/25/11 : PROGRAM: Movies: “Don’t
Be Afraid of the Dark,” / “Higher Ground,” / "Snow Flower and the Secret
Fan" GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Guillermo Del Toro, Producer / Katie Holmes,
Actress, “Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark” // Vera Farmiga, Actress, Director, “Higher
Ground” /// Wendi Murdoch, Producer / Wayne Wang, Director / Li Bing Bing,
Actress, “Snow Flower and the Secret Fan."
488. AIR DATE: 08/24/11 PROGRAM: Rebroadcast of the conversation with Arnold Palmer GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Arnold Palmer, Hall of Fame Golfer.
AIR DATE: 08/23/11 PROGRAM: Architecture /
NFL GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Moshe Safdie, Architect // Jerry Jones, Owner, the
Dallas Cowboys / Jerry Richardson, Owner, Carolina Panthers.
AIR DATE: 08/22/11 PROGRAM: Broadway Play /
Chris Licht’s new book GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Broadway: Tyne Daly, Actor /
Terrence McNally, Playwright, “Master Class” // Chris Licht, Vice President for
Programming, CBS News; Author, “What I learned When I almost Died.”
491. AIR DATE: 08/19/11 PROGRAM: Volatility in the Financial Markets / Restaurants & Food GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Markets: Roben Farzad, Columnist, “Business Week” / Greg Ip, U.S. Economics Editor, “Economist” Magazine // David Bouley, Che; Restauranteur.
492. AIR DATE: 08/18/11 PROGRAM: London Riots and Afghanistan / Acting and Singing Career of Jeff Bridges GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Rory Stewart, Member of Parliament, Great Britain; Author, “Can Intervention Work” // Jeff Bridges, Actor, Musician, “Jeff Bridges.”
493. AIR DATE: 08/17/11 PROGRAM: Tax Reform Debate / Violence in Iraq and Americans’ presence therein. GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Tax Reform: Bill Bradley, former Senator (D), New Jersey / David Leonhardt, Washington Bureau Chief, The New York Times (via Washington D.C.) / Martin Feldstein, Harvard University (via Boston) // Iraq: Tim Arango, Baghdad Bureau Chief, The New York Times.
AIR DATE: 08/16/11 PROGRAM: Jane Fonda shares
her life lessons in her new book, “Primetime.” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jane Fonda,
actor, political activist, fitness personality, philanthropist, author.
495. AIR DATE: 08/15/11 PROGRAM: Economy & the need for Tax Reform GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Warren Buffet, Chairman & CEO of Berkshire Hathaway
496. AIR DATE: 08/12/11 PROGRAM: Iowa Straw Poll 2012 Republican Presidential Debate / HBO Documentary about the life of Gloria Steinem GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: 2012: Mark Halperin, Time Magazine / Matthew Down, Republican Strategist / Ryan Lizza, The New Yorker // Gloria Steinem, Activist.
497. AIR DATE: 08/11/11 PROGRAM: President Obama’s Leadership / Shakespeare GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Obama’s leadership: Drew Westen, Emory University / Jonathan Chait, The New Republic / Fareed Zakaria, Time Magazine // Shakespeare: Michael Boyd, Director of the Royal Shakespeare Company.
498. AIR DATE: 08/10/11 PROGRAM: Markets’ reaction to S&P Downgrade / Foreign policy: Afghanistan & Pakistan // Mexico GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Markets: Julianna Goldman, Chief White House Correspondent for Bloomberg News // Foreign Policy: Dexter Filkins, The New Yorker / Ahmed Rashid, author /// Jorge Castaneda, Former Prime Minister of Mexico; New York University; Author, “Manana Forever: Mexico and the Mexicans.”
499. AIR DATE: 08/09/11 PROGRAM: George Will GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: George Will, Columnist, ABC News
500. AIR DATE: 08/08/11 PROGRAM: Debt ceiling debate / Global markets GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Debt ceiling debate: Jack Lew, Director of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) // Global markets: Steve Rattner, former counselor to the treasury secretary / Nouriel Roubini, Roubini Global Economics / Bill Sahlman, Harvard Business School / Bill Gross, Founder of Pimpco.
501. AIR DATE: 08/05/11 PROGRAM: Economy / “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Economy: Gillian Tett, Financial Times / Greg Ip, The Economist (via Washington, DC) /// “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”: James Franco, Actor / Freida Pinto, Actor / Rupert Wyatt, Director
502. AIR DATE: 08/04/11 PROGRAM: Somalia / Egypt / Nicholas Schmidle / Joby Warrick GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Somalia: David Muir, ABC News / Valerie Amos, United Nations Emergency Releif Coordinator /// Egypt: Anthony Shadid, The New York Times (in Cairo via Skype) / Leila Fadel, The Washington Post (via Cairo) /// Nicholas Schmidle, The New Yorker (via Washington, DC) /// Joby Warrick, The Washington Post, Author, “The Triple Agent: The al-Qaeda Mole Who Infiltrated the CIA”
503. AIR DATE: 08/03/11 PROGRAM: Arnold Palmer GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Arnold Palmer, Hall of Fame Golfer (On location in Latrobe, Pennsylvania)
504. AIR DATE: 08/02/11 PROGRAM: Robert Rubin / Turkey GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Robert Rubin, Former Secretary of the Treasury // Turkey: Steven Cook (via Washington, DC) / Ross Wilson, Atlantic Council (via Washington, DC) / Bulent Aliriza, Center for Strategic and International Studies (via Washington, DC)
505. AIR DATE: 08/01/11 PROGRAM: Debt Ceiling Agreetment / David Sanger / Lucian Freud Obit GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Debt Ceiling: Mark Halperin, Time Magazine / John Heilemann, New York Magazine / Peter Orszag, Citigroup / Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// David Sanger, The New York Times (via Washington, DC) /// Lucian Freud Obit: John Richardson, Author / William Acquavella, Art Dealer (From 11/24/06)
506. AIR DATE: 07/29/11 : PROGRAM: Sir Paul Nurse (Rebroadcast from March 4th, 2011) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Sir Paul Nurse, Rockefeller University, Royal Society of London, Nobel Laureate
507. AIR DATE: 07/28/11 PROGRAM: Debt Talk Update / Marvin and Deborah Kalb / David Wise GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Bites from leaders on Debt Talks / Marvin Kalb, Edward Morrow Professor, Harvard University, Author / Deborah Kalb, Author, “Haunting Legacy: Vietnam and the American Presidencey from Ford to Obama” /// David Wise, Author, “Tiger Trap: America’s Secret Spy War with China”
508. AIR DATE: 07/27/11 PROGRAM: Alan Mulally / “The Whistleblower”: Rachel Weisz, Kathy Bolkovac GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Alan Mulally, President and CEO, Ford Motor Company /// Rachel Weisz, Actor / Kathy Bolkovac, Former UN Peacekeeper
509. AIR DATE: 07/26/11 PROGRAM: Debt Talks / Errol Morris GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Debt Talks, Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) / Dan Balz, The Washington Post (via Washington, DC) / Gerald Seib, The Wall Street Journal (via Washington, DC) ///
510. AIR DATE: 07/25/11 PROGRAM: Obama Debt Adress / Phil Mickelson / Steve Carrell GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Excerpts from Obama’s Debt Address /// Phil Mickelson, Professional Golfer ///
Steve Carrell, Actor
511. AIR DATE: 07/22/11 : PROGRAM: Debt Talks / Greece Debt / “Entourage” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Floyd Norris, The New York Times / Francisco Guerrera, The Wall Street Journal / Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// David Brooks, The New York Times (via Washington, DC) / Paul Krugman, The New York Times (via Princeton) /// Greece: Floyd Norris, The New York Times / Francesco Guerrera, The Wall Street Journal ///
Doug Ellin, Writer / Jeremy Piven, Actor / Kevin Connoly, Actor
512. AIR DATE: 07/21/11 PROGRAM: Tom Donillon GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Tom Donillon, National Security Advisor
513. AIR DATE: 07/20/11 PROGRAM: “News of the World” Scandal / Zhang Xin / Anthony Summers GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Lionel Barber, Financial Times (London) / Catherine Mayer, Time Magazine (London) /// Zhang Xin, CEO, Soho China /// Anthony Summers, Author, “The Eleventh Day: The Full Story of 9/11 and Osama Bin Laden”
514. AIR DATE: 07/19/11 PROGRAM: Murdoch Hearings / Sen. Rob Portman GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Josh Tyrangiel, Bloomberg BusinessWeek / David Carr, The New York Times / Ian Katz, The Guardian (via London) / John Burns, The New York Times (via London) /// Sen. Rob Portman, (R) Ohio
515. AIR DATE: 07/18/11 PROGRAM: Karl / Harry Potter / John Wilkes Booth GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jonathan Karl, ABC News (via Washington, DC) /// Nina Titone, Historian, Author, “My Thoughts Be Bloody” / Doris Kearns Goodwin, Historian, Author
516. AIR DATE: 07/15/11 PROGRAM: Debt Talks / Global Debt / NewsCorp Scandal Update GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Chuck Todd, NBC News (via Washington, DC) / Hans Nichols, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// Gillian Tett, Financial Times (via London) / John Chambers, Standard & Poors / William H. Gross, Pimco (via Newport Beach, CA) / Zanny Minton Beddoes, The Economist /// Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson, Financial Times
517. AIR DATE: 07/14/11 PROGRAM: “News of the World” Scandal / Paul Farmer GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Alan Rusbridger, The Guardian (via London / John F. Burns, The New York Times (via Cambridge) / Alastair Campbell, Former Communications Director to Tony Blair (via London / Catherine Mayer, Time Magazine (via London) / Josh Tyrangiel, Editor, Bloomberg BusinessWeek / Roger Cohen, The New York Times /// Paul Farmer, Harvard University; Co-Founder, Partners In Health; Author, “Haiti: After the Earthquake”
518. AIR DATE: 07/13/11 PROGRAM: Durbin / Summers (Part Two of Two) / John Banville GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Sen. Dick Durbin, (D) Illinois /// Lawrence Summers, Former President, Harvard University /// John Banville, Author
519. AIR DATE: 07/12/11 PROGRAM: Laurence Summers (Part One of Two) / George Stephanopoulos GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Laurence Summers, Former President, Harvard University; Former U.S. Treasury Secretary /// George Stephanopoulos, Anchor, Good Morning America; Chief Political Correspondent, ABC News
520. AIR DATE: 07/11/11 PROGRAM: Debt Limit Talks: Coburn / Feldstein and Leonhardt / Laurence Tribe GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Sen. Tom Coburn, (R) Oklahoma (via Washington, DC) /// Martin Feldstein, Harvard University / David Leonhardt, The New York Times (via Washington, DC) /// Laurence Tribe, Harvard University
521. AIR DATE: 07/08/11 PROGRAM: New York Times Columnists (Rebroadcast) / Anthony Bourdain / Ernesto Cardenal GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: NYT: Thomas L. Friedman, The New York Times / David Brooks, The New York Times / David Leonhardt, The New York Times / Roger Cohen, The New York Times (Rebroadcast from 6/21/11) /// Anthony Bourdain, Food Network Host, Author /// Ernesto Cardenal, Poet
522. AIR DATE: 07/07/11 PROGRAM: Debt Ceiling Talks / NFL/NBA Labor Disputes (Show taped in DC) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Al Hunt (Guest Host): Sen. Mark Warner, (D) Virginia (via Washington, DC) / Sen. Mike Crapo, (R) Idaho (via Washington, DC) / Julianna Goldman, Bloomberg News / Lori Montgomery, The Washington Post /// Sally Jenkins, The New York Times (via New York) / Kevin Blackistone, University of Maryland
523. AIR DATE: 07/06/11 PROGRAM: Linney / Baron / Sciolino GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Laura Linney, Actor /// Fabien Baron, Creative Director /// Elaine Sciolino, The New York Times, Author, “La Seduction: How the French Play the Game of Life”
524. AIR DATE: 07/05/11 PROGRAM: Indrawati / Lipstadt GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Sri Mulyani Indrawati, Managing Director, World Bank (Taped in Washington, DC) /// Deborah Lipstadt, Emory University, Author, “The Eichmann Trial”
525. AIR DATE: 07/04/11 PROGRAM: David McCullough (Rebroadcast from 6/9/2011) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David McCullough, Author, “The Greater Journey”
526. AIR DATE: 07/01/11 PROGRAM: Inside Islam GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Panel: Rashad Hussain, U.S. Special Envoy, Organization of the Islamic Conference, U.S. State Department / Sherman Jackson, Professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies, University of Michigan / Keci Ali, Assistant Professor of Religion, Boston University / John Esposito, Professor of Religion and International Affiars, Georgetown University / Ingrid Mattson, Professor of Islamic Studies, Hartford Seminary / Shawkat Toorawa, Associate Professor of Arabic Literature and Islamic Studies, Cornell University
527. AIR DATE: 06/30/11 PROGRAM: Conservation International / Timothy Garton Ash GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Peter Seligmann, CEO, Conservation International / Roger Altman, Chairman, Evercore Partners
528. AIR DATE: 06/29/11 PROGRAM: Arminio Fraga / Sugar Ray Leonard GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Arminio Fraga, Gávea Investments / Sugar Ray Leonard, Former Champion Boxer, Author, “The Big Fight”
529. AIR DATE: 06/28/11 PROGRAM: Tom Coburn / Christine Quinn GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Senator Tom Coburn, (R) Oklahoma (via Washington, DC) /// Christine Quinn, New York City Council Speaker
530. AIR DATE: 06/27/11 PROGRAM: Halperin / Same Sex Marriage in New York / “Page One” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mark Halperin, Time Magazine (via Washington, DC) /// Gay Marriage: Nicholas Confessore, The New York Times / Jeffrey Toobin, The New Yorker, CNN /Adam Nagourney, The New York Times (via Los Angeles) /// “Page One: Inside the New York Times”: David Carr, The New York Times / Gay Talese, The New York Times / Brian Stelter, The New York Times
531. AIR DATE: 06/24/11 PROGRAM: Jim Steinberg GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jim Steinberg, Deputy Secretary of State (Taped in Washington, DC)
532. AIR DATE: 06/23/11 PROGRAM: Afghanistan / James “Whitey” Bulger Arrest / Constitution - Stengel GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Afghanistan: Gen. Jack Keane (ret.), Former Vice Chief of Staff, U.S. Army / Vali Nasr, Professor, Tufts University (via Washington, DC) /// Bulger Arrest: Kevin Cullen, The Boston Globe (via Boston) / Abby Goodnough, The New York Times (via Boston) /// Richard Stengel, Managing Editor, Time Magazine
533. AIR DATE: 06/22/11 PROGRAM: Afghanistan / “Wild Bill Donovan” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Afghanistan: David Ignatius, The Washington Post / Richard Haass, Council on Foreign Relations / Joe Klein, Time Magazine / James Shinn, Fmr. Assistant Secretary of Defense / Princeton University /// Donovan: Douglas Waller, Defense Analyst, Bloomberg Government; author, “Wild Bill Donovan” / William J. vanden Heuvel, Former UN Ambassador
534. AIR DATE: 06/21/11 PROGRAM: New York Times Columnists GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Thomas L. Friedman, The New York Times / David Brooks, The New York Times / David Leonhardt, The New York Times / Roger Cohen, The New York Times
535. AIR DATE: 06/20/11 PROGRAM: Richard Lugar / Donald Rumsfeld GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Sen. Richard Lugar, (R) Indiana (via Washington, DC) /// Donald Rumsfeld, former U.S. Secretary of Defense, Author, “Known and Unknown”
536. AIR DATE: 06/17/11 PROGRAM: Alan Greenspan / Summer Movies GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Alan Greenspan, Former Federal Reserve Chairman /// Summer Movies: A.O. Scott, The New York Times / David Denby, The New Yorker / Dana Stevens, Slate Magazine
537. AIR DATE: 06/16/11 PROGRAM: Deval Patrick / Iran / Kreamer and Truss GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Deval Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts /// Iran: Ardeshir amir Arjomand, Spokesman, Coordinating Council of the Green Path of Hope /// Iran Panel: Hadi Ghaemi, International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran / Ervand Abrahamian, Professor of History, City University of New York / Haleh Esfandiari, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars (via Washington, DC) /// Anne Kreamer, Author, “It’s Always Personal: Emotion in the New Workplace” / Mark Truss, J. Walter Thompson
538. AIR DATE: 06/15/11 PROGRAM: J.J. Abrams / Andrew Roberts GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: J.J. Abrams, Director /// Andrew Roberts, Historian, Author, “The Storm of War”
539. AIR DATE: 06/14/11 PROGRAM: Admiral Michael Mullen GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Admiral Michael Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
540. AIR DATE: 06/13/11 PROGRAM: Afghanistan / Stan Musial Panel / Philanthropy GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Afghanistan: Karen de Young, The Washington Post (via Washington, DC) / Martha Raddatz, ABC News (via Washington, DC) /// Stan Musial: Bob Costas, NBC Sports, The Major League Baseball Network / Tim McCarver, Fox Sports / George Vecsey, The New York Times, Author, “Stan Musial: An American Life” /// Philanthropy: Thomas J. Tierney, Bridgespan, Author / Joel L. Fleishman, Duke University, Author, “Give Smart”
541. AIR DATE: 06/10/11 PROGRAM: David Brooks Rebroadcast from 3/7/2011 GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Brooks, The New York Times, Author, “The Social Animal”
542. AIR DATE: 06/09/11 PROGRAM: David McCullough GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David McCullough, Author, “The Greater Journey”
543. AIR DATE: 06/08/11 PROGRAM: Economy / Ignatius / Conant GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Economy: Peter Coy, Bloomberg Businessweek / Jon Hilsenrath, The Wall Street Journal /// David Ignatius, The Washington Post, Author, “Blood Money” /// Jennet Conant, Author, “A Covert Affair”
544. AIR DATE: 06/07/11 PROGRAM: US-Germany Relations / Walt Mossberg / Lelyveld and Scott GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: US-Germany: Charles Kupchan, Council on Foreign Relations / William Drozdiak, The American Council on Germany (Taped in DC) /// Walter Mossberg, The Wall Street Journal (Taped in DC) /// Joe Lelyveld, Author / Janny Scott, Author
545. AIR DATE: 06/06/11 PROGRAM: Weiner Controversy / Libya / Morgenson GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mark Halperin, Time Magazine / Rogern Simon, Politico (via Washington, DC) /// John Burns, The New York Times (via Tripoli, Libya) /// Gretchen Morgenson, The New York Times, Co-Author, “Reckless Endangerment: How Outsized Ambition, Greed and Corruption Led to Economic Armageddon”
546. AIR DATE: 06/03/11 PROGRAM: John Edwards Indictment / Economy Discussion GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Edwards: Jeffrey Toobin, The New Yorker, CNN / Mark Halperin, Time Magazine (via Washington, DC) / Pete Williams, NBC News (via Washington, DC) /// Economy: David Walker, Comeback America Initiative / Paul Krugman, The New York Times / Jared Bernstein, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (via Washington, DC) / Kenneth Rogoff, Harvard University (via Boston)
547. AIR DATE: 06/02/11 PROGRAM: 2012 Campaign / Vuc Jeremic / Vitaly Churkin GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: 2012: Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) / John Harris, Politico (via Washington, DC) /// Vuc Jeremic, Foreign Minister, Serbia /// Vitaly Churkin, Russia’s Ambassador to the United Nations
548. AIR DATE: 06/01/11 PROGRAM: Pakistan / “The Normal Heart” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Pakistan: Hassan Abbas, Asia Society / Pir Zubair Shah, The New York Times / Shuja Nawaz, The Atlantic Council (via Washington, DC) /// “The Normal Heart”: George C. Wolfe, Director / John Benjamin Hickey, Actor, Ellen Barkin, Actor
549. AIR DATE: 05/31/11 PROGRAM: Fareed Zakaria GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Fareed Zakaria, Editor-at-large, Time; Host, Fareed Zakaria GPS
550. AIR DATE: 05/30/11 PROGRAM: Henry Kissinger GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Henry Kissinger, Former Secretary of State; Author, “On China”
551. AIR DATE: 05/27/11 PROGRAM: Greitens / Spence / Mayer & Mashibe GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Eric Greitens, Navy Seal, Author, “The Heart and the Fist” /// Michael Spence, Nobel Laureate, Author, “The Next Convergence” /// Marissa Mayer, Google / Susan Mashibe, Tanjet
552. AIR DATE: 05/26/11 PROGRAM: Ratko Mladic Arrest / George Mitchell GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Ratko Mladic: Madeleine Albright, Former Secretary of State (via Washington, DC) / Mladic: Christiane Amanpur, ABC News / David Rohde, The New York Times /// George Mitchell, Fmr. Special Envoy to the Middle East
553. AIR DATE: 05/25/11 PROGRAM: Oprah’s Finale / Bradley Cooper GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Oprah: Bill Carter, The New York Times / Kelefa Sanneh, The New Yorker / Alexandra Wentworth, TV Correspondent /// Bradley Cooper, Actor
554. AIR DATE: 05/24/11 PROGRAM: Israel Discussion / Jane Lubchenco GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Israel: Aluf Benn, Haaretz (via Washington, DC) / Jeffrey Goldberg, The Atlantic (via Washington, DC) / Walter Russell Mead, The American Interest (via Washington, DC) / Bret Stephens, The Wall Street Journal /// Jame Lubchenco, NOAA
555. AIR DATE: 05/23/11 PROGRAM: 2012 Candidates / Wikileaks / “Too Big to Fail” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Al Hunt, Bloomberg News / Mark Halperin, Time Magazine / Thomas DeFrank, The New York Daily News (via Washington, DC) /// Martin Smith, Frontline /// “Too Big to Fail”: Andrew Ross Sorkin, The New York Times; Author / James Woods, Actor / Billy Crudup, Actor
556. AIR DATE: 05/20/11 PROGRAM: Lee Kuan Yew (Rebroadcast from 3/28/2011) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Lee Kuan Yew, Former Prime Minister of Singapore
557. AIR DATE: 05/19/11 : PROGRAM: Obama’s Middle East Speech GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Ignatius, The Washington Post / Zbigniew Brzezinski, Former National Security Advisor (taped in Washington, DC) /// David Ignatius, The Washington Post (via Washington, DC) / Mort Zuckerman, US News and World Report / Richard Engel, NBC News (via Cairo, Egypt)
558. AIR DATE: 05/18/11 : PROGRAM: Middle East Panel / Penske Racing Team GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Middle East: Michele Dunne, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (via Washington, DC) / Robert Danin, Council on Foreign Relations (via Washington, DC) / Rami Khouri, American University of Beirut, The Daily Star /// Penske Racing: Roger Penske, Founder and Chairman, Penske Corporation / Helio Castroneves, Three Time Indy 500 Champion, Penske Racing / Ryan Briscoe, Penske Racing / Will Power, Penske Racing
559. AIR DATE: 05/17/11 : PROGRAM: Dominique Strauss-Kahn Story / Kathy Freston GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: DSK: Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker / Dan Abrams, ABC News /// DSK-Paris Panel: Steve Erlanger, The New York Times / Dominique Moisi, Institute for International Relations, France / Natalie Nougayrede, Le Monde /// Kathy Freston, Author, “Veganist: Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World”
560. AIR DATE: 05/16/11 PROGRAM: Frederick Kempe / Keira Knightley GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Frederick Kempe, President and CEO, the Atlantic Council; Author /// Keira Knightley, Actor
561. AIR DATE: 05/13/11 PROGRAM: Orhan Pamuk GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Orhan Pamuk, Author, Nobel Laureate (Taped in Turkey)
562. AIR DATE: 05/12/11 PROGRAM: Ahmet Davutoglu / Journalists on Turkey GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Ahmet Davutoglu, Foreign Minister of Turkey (Taped in Turkey) /// Ian Bremmer, Eurasia Group / Henri Barkey, Lehigh University, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (via Washington, DC) / Steven Cook, Council on Foreign Relations (via Washington, DC) / Andrew Finkel, Journalist, Author (Phoner via Istanbul)
563. AIR DATE: 05/11/11 PROGRAM: Recep Tayyip Erdogan GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Prime Minister of Turkey (Taped in Turkey)
564. AIR DATE: 05/10/11 PROGRAM: Felipe Calderón GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Felipe Calderón, President of Mexico
565. AIR DATE: 05/09/11 : PROGRAM: Tim Geithner & Wang Qishan GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Tim Geithner, United States Treasury Secretary / Wang Qishan, Vice Premier of China (Taped in Washington, DC)
566. AIR DATE: 05/06/11 PROGRAM: James Franco GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: James Franco, Actor (Taped at Brown University)
567. AIR DATE: 05/05/11 PROGRAM: Brian Williams (Guest Host): Richard Engel / Journalists / Steven Levy GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Richard Engel, NBC News (via Benghazi, Libya) /// Doris Kearns Goodwin, Presidential Historian / Bobby Ghosh, Time Magazine / Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker /// Steven Levy, Wired; Author, “In the Plex”
568. AIR DATE: 05/04/11 : PROGRAM: Reed Hastings / Sal Khan GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Reed Hastings, Co-founder & CEO, Netflix /// Sal Khan, Founder, Khanacademy.org
569. AIR DATE: 05/03/11 PROGRAM: Husain Haqqani / Dennis Blair (Show taped in Washington, DC) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Husain Haqqani, Pakistan’s Ambassador to the United Nations /// Dennis Blair, Former Director of National Intelligence
570. AIR DATE: 05/02/11 PROGRAM: The Death of Osama bin Laden GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Brian Ross, ABC News (Via ABC Studio, NY) /// Gen. Michael Hayden, Former Director of the CIA (via Washington, DC) /// David Ignatius, The Washington Post (via Washington, DC) / Steve Coll, The New America Foundation (via Washington, DC) / Dexter Filkins, The New Yorker (via Istanbul, Turkey)
571. AIR DATE: 04/29/11 : PROGRAM: Tornadoes: Williams / David Leonhardt / Lynsey Addario GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Brian Williams, NBC News /// David Leonhardt, The New York Times (via Washington, DC) /// Lynsey Addario, Photojournalist
572. AIR DATE: 04/28/11 PROGRAM: Ryan Lizza / Jon Meacham / Christy Turlington GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Ryan Lizza, The New Yorker /// Jon Meacham, Random House, Author, “American Homer” ///
Turlington, Filmmaker, Model
573. AIR DATE: 04/27/11 PROGRAM: El Baradei / “Everything Must Go” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mohamed El Baradei, Nobel Laureate, Author, “The Age of Deception” (via Cairo, Egypt) ///
“Everything Must Go”:
Will Ferrell, Actor / Dan Rush, Director
574. AIR DATE: 04/26/11 PROGRAM: Syria / Tribeca Film Festival / Karl Gerth GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Syrai, Rob Malley, International Crisis Group (via Washington, DC) /// Tribeca Film Festival: Robert De Niro, Co-Founder, Tribeca Film Festival / Jane Rosenthal, Co-founder, Tribeca Film Festival /// Karl Gerth, Oxford University; Author, “As China Goes, So Goes the World”
575. AIR DATE: 04/25/11 PROGRAM: Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, President of Indonesia
576. AIR DATE: 04/22/11 PROGRAM: “Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo” / Alexandra Styron / James Stewart GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Robin Williams, Actor / Arian Moayed, Actor / Rajiv Joseph, Playwright / Moisés Kaufman, Director /// Alexandra Stanley, Author, “Reading My Father” /// James Stewart, Author, “Tangled Webs”
577. AIR DATE: 04/21/11 PROGRAM: Michele Flournoy / Richard Serra GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Michéle Flournoy, Under Secretary of Defense for Policy (Taped in Washington, DC) /// Richard Serra, Artist
578. AIR DATE: 04/20/11 PROGRAM: Conversations on Diplomacy: Clinton and Kissinger GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Hillary Clinton, U.S. Secretary of State / Henry Kissinger, Former U.S. Secretary of State (Taped at the State Department)
579. AIR DATE: 04/19/11 PROGRAM: “The House of Blue Leaves” / “Arcadia” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: “The House of Blue Leaves”: Ben Stiller, Actor / John Guare, Playwright / David Cromer, Director /// “Arcadia”: Billy Crudup, Actor / Raul Esparza, Actor
580. AIR DATE: 04/18/11 PROGRAM: Paul Allen / John Leguizamo GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Paul Allen, Co-founder, Microsoft; Chairman, Vulcan Inc.; Philanthropist /// John Leguizamo, Actor
581. AIR DATE: 04/15/11 PROGRAM: Chefs: Hamilton / Waxman / Adria GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Gabrielle Hamilton / Chef/Restaurateur, Author, “Blood, Bones, and Butter” /// Jonathan Waxman, Chef/Owner, “Barbuto” /// Ferran Adria, Owner and Head Chef, El Bulli
582. AIR DATE: 04/14/11 PROGRAM: Gretchen Morgenson / Simon Schama / Jamie Oliver GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Gretchen Morgenson, The New York Times (via New York Times office) /// Simon Schama, Historian, Author, “Scribble, Scribble, Scribble” /// Jamie Oliver, Chef, Restaurateur
583. AIR DATE: 04/13/11 PROGRAM: Obama’s Budget Proposal: Lew / Ryan / Pearlstein (Taped in Washington, DC) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jack Lew, Director, Office of Management and Budget /// Rep. Paul Ryan, (R) Wisconsin (via Capitol Hill) /// Steven Pearlstein, The Washington Post
584. AIR DATE: 04/12/11 PROGRAM: Jim O’Neill / Lionel Barber GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Jim O’Neill, Chairman, Goldman Sachs Asset Management /// Lionel Barber, Editor, Financial Times
585. AIR DATE: 04/11/11 PROGRAM: Sawiris / Engel / Abdullah GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Naguib Sawiris, Chairman/CEO, Orascom Telecom (via Cairo, Egypt) /// Richard Engel, NBC News / Abdullah Abdullah, Former Foreign Minister, Afghanistan; Chairman, Coalition for Hope & Change
586. AIR DATE: 04/08/11 PROGRAM: Government Shutdown / Shimon Peres GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// Shimon Peres, President of Israel
587. AIR DATE: 04/07/11 PROGRAM: Martin Wolf / Steve and Cokie Roberts GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Martin Wolf, Financial Times /// Steve Roberts, Author / Cokie Roberts, Author, “Our Haggadah”
588. AIR DATE: 04/06/11 PROGRAM: Bob Diamond / Masters Preview GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Bob Diamond, CEO, Barclays /// Masters: Jim Nantz, CBS Sports / Nick Faldo, Former Masters Champion
589. AIR DATE: 04/05/11 PROGRAM: Budget / Corey Booker GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Budget: John Heilemann, New York Magazine / Gerald Seib, The Wall Street Journal (via Washington, DC) / Jonathan Karl, ABC News (via Washington, DC)
590. AIR DATE: 04/04/11 PROGRAM: Libya GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Bernard-Henri Lévy, Author, Philosopher / Leslie Gelb, Council on Foreign Relations / Kareem Fahim, The New York Times (phoner via Benghazi) / Ben Wedeman, CNN (video via Eastern Libya)
591. AIR DATE: 04/01/11 PROGRAM: Week in Politics / NCAA GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: (Show from DC) Al Hunt (Guest Host): Andrea Mitchell, NBC News / Michael Duffy, Time Magazine /// John Feinstein, The Washington Post / Craig Robinson, Head Coach, Oregon State Men’s Basketball Team
592. AIR DATE: 03/31/11 PROGRAM: Dabbashi / Baseball / Rembrandt GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Guest Host – Jon Meacham: Ibrahim Dabbashi, Fmr. Deputy U.N. Ambassador, Libya /// Baseball: Willie Geist, MSNBC / Kostya Kennedy, Senior Editor, Sports Illustrated / Reggie Jackson, Major League Baseball Hall of Fame /// Rembrandt: Colin Bailey, The Frick Collection
593. AIR DATE: 03/30/11 PROGRAM: Syria / Linda Wells GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Syria (Guest Host: Bob Simon): Rula Aman, Al Jazeera (phoner via Damascus) /// Robert Malley, International Crisis Group (via Washington, DC) / Andrew Tabler, Washington Institute for Near East Policy (via Washington, DC) / Rashid Khalidi, Columbia University / Mohammad Bazzi, Council on Foreign Relations /// Linda Wells, Editor-in-Chief, Allure
594. AIR DATE: 03/29/11 PROGRAM: Libya: McCain / Reed / Journalists /// Howar Schultz GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Libya (Guest Host, Al Hunt): Sen. John McCain, (R) Arizona /// Sen. Jack Reed, (D) Rhode Island /// David Ignatius, The Washington Post / Doyle McManus, Los Angeles Times / Julianna Goldman, Bloomberg News /// Howard Schultz, CEO, Starbucks
595. AIR DATE: 03/28/11 PROGRAM: Lee Kuan Yew GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Lee Kuan Yew, Former Prime Minister of Singapore
596. AIR DATE: 03/25/11 PROGRAM: Trey Parker & Matt Stone / Catherine Deneuve GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Trey Parker, Creator, “South Park” / Matt Stone, Creator, “South Park” /// Catherine Deneuve, Actor
597. AIR DATE: 03/24/11 PROGRAM: Taieb Fassi-Fihri / “Miral”: Jebreal & Schnabel GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Taieb Fassi-Fihri, Foreign Minister of Morocco /// Julian Schnabel, Director, Artist / Rula Jebreal, Author, Journalist
598. AIR DATE: 03/23/11 PROGRAM: Afghanistan / NCAA Basketball / Rula Jebreal GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Lakhdar Brahimi, Fmr. UN Special Representative; Fmr. Algerian Foreign Minister / Thomas Pickering, Fmr. US Ambassador to the UN; Fmr. Under Secretary of State, Political Affairs /// Jay Bilas, ESPN (via Charlotte, NC) / Willie Geist, MSNBC /// Rula Jebreal, Author, Journalist
599. AIR DATE: 03/22/11 PROGRAM: Mayors Roundtable GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City / Jerry Sanders, Mayor of San Diego / Kasim Reed, Mayor of Atlanta / Michael Nutter, Mayor of Philadelphia / R.T. Rybak, Mayor of Minneapolis / Bill White, Former Mayor of Houston
600. AIR DATE: 03/21/11 PROGRAM: Engel / Frank / Myhrvold GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Richard Engel, NBC News (via Tobruk) /// Rep. Barney Frank, (D) Massachusetts /// Nathan Myhrvold, Intellectual Ventures
601. AIR DATE: 03/18/11 PROGRAM: Libya: Salam, Araud / Anderson / Kirkpatrick / Lévy / Kurzweil & Ptolemy GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Nawaf Salam, Lebanese Ambassador to the UN / Gérard Araud, French Ambassador to the UN /// Bernard-Henri Lévy, Author, Philosopher (phoner via Paris) /// Jon Lee Anderson, The New Yorker (Phoner via Benghazi) /// David Kirkpatrick, The New York Times (Phoner via Tripoli) /// Ray Kurzweil, Inventor, Author, Futurist / Barry Ptolemy, Director
602. AIR DATE: 03/17/11 PROGRAM: Nuclear Power / “Limitless” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Nuclear Power: Jonathan Schell, The Nation Institute / William Tucker, Author / Michael Levi, Council on Foreign Relations /// “Limitless”: Bradley Cooper, Actor / Neil Burger, Director
603. AIR DATE: 03/16/11 PROGRAM: (SHOW FROM D.C.) Japan Update / Mideast Update/Roundtable GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Japan Update: Ethan Bronner, New York Times (phoner via Manama, Bahrain) /// Mideast: Helene Cooper, New York Times / Robert Malley, International Crisis Group / John Negroponte, Fmr. Director of National Intelligence, Fmr. U.S. Deputy Secretary of State / Zalmay Khalizad, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Fmr. U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Fmr. U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan
604. AIR DATE: 03/15/11 PROGRAM: Rep. Barbara Lee / Barton Biggs/ NCAA Tournament Preview GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Rep. Barbara Lee, (D) California, Book (memoir): “Renegade for Peace & Justice – a Memoir of Political and Personal Courage” /// Barton Biggs, Traxis Partners, Book: “A Hedge Fund Tale of Reach and Grasp…or what’s a Heaven for?” /// NCAA Tournament Preview: Jay Bilas, ESPN (via Charlotte)
605. AIR DATE: 03/14/11 PROGRAM: Japan / Japan Nuclear Crisis/ iPad2 /Tablets GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Japan: Anna Coren, CNN (phoner via Tokyo) /// Japan Nuclear Crisis: Olli Heinonen, Harvard University, Fmr. Chief IAEA Inspector / David Sanger, New York Times (via DC)/ Frank von Hippel, Princeton University /// iPad2/Tablets: Walt Mossberg, Wall Street Journal / David Carr, New York Times (via Austin)
606. AIR DATE: 03/11/11 PROGRAM: Japan Earthquake and Tsunami / Mikheil Saakhashvili / Peter Guber GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Seth Stein, Seismologist, Northwestern University (via Chicago) /// Mikheil Saakashvili, President, Republic of Georgia /// Peter Guber, Chairman and CEO, Mandalay Entertainment
607. AIR DATE: 03/10/11 PROGRAM: Rep. Keith Ellison/ “Driving Miss Daisy” GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Representative Keith Ellison (via Washington, D.C.), (d) Minnesota /// “Driving Miss Daisy”: Alfred Uhry, playwright / Vanessa Redgrave, actor / James Earl Jones, actor / Boyd Gaines, actor
608. AIR DATE: 03/09/11 PROGRAM: Afghanistan / Jeff Greenfield / David Broder Appreciation GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Afghanistan: James Shinn, Fmr. Assistant Secretary of Defense, Princeton University / Gen. Jack Keane (ret.), Former Vice Chief of Staff, U.S. Army (via Washington, DC) / David Ignatius, The Washington Post (via Washington, DC) /// Jeff Greenfield, CBS News, Author, “Then Everything Changed” /// An Appreciation of David Broder
609. AIR DATE: 03/08/11 PROGRAM: Libya / Women in the World GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Libya: Anne-Marie Slaughter, Princeton University (via Princeton, NJ) / David Sanger, The New York Times (via Boston) / Jessica Tuchman Mathews, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (via Washington, DC) / Leon Wieseltier, The New Republic (via Washington, DC) /// Women in the World: Tina Brown, Editor In Chief, The Daily Beast; Editor In Chief, Newsweek / Dina Powell, Director of Global Corporate Engagement, Goldman Sachs / Zainab Salbi, Founder, Women For Women International
610. AIR DATE: 03/07/11 PROGRAM: David Brooks GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Brooks, The New York Times, Author, “The Social Animal”
611. AIR DATE: 03/04/11 PROGRAM: Sir Paul Nurse GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Sir Paul Nurse, Rockefeller University, Royal Society of London, Nobel Laureate
612. AIR DATE: 03/03/11 PROGRAM: Bob Iger / Abbas Milani GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Robert Iger, President and CEO, The Walt Disney Company /// Abbas Milani, Stanford University, Author, “The Shah”
613. AIR DATE: 03/02/11 PROGRAM: Joe Klein / Nassim Taleb / Mike Huckabee GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Joe Klein, Time Magazine /// Nassim Taleb, Author, “The Bed of Procrustes” /// Mike Huckabee, Former Governor, Arkensas; 2008 Republican Presidential Candidate
614. AIR DATE: 03/01/11 PROGRAM: Amy Chua / Gita Wirjawan GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Amy Chua, Yale Law School, Author, “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother” /// Gita Wirjawan, Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board
615. AIR DATE: 02/28/11 PROGRAM: Lakhdar Brahimi / Joe Nye GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Lakhdar Brahimi, Fmr. U.N. Special Representative; Fmr. Algerian Foreign Minister /// Joe Nye, Harvard University, Author, “The Future of Power”
616. AIR DATE: 02/25/11 PROGRAM: Abdul Rahim Wardak GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Abdul Rahim Wardak, Afghan Defense Minister
617. AIR DATE: 02/24/11 PROGRAM: Academy Awards Special GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Academy Awards Special: Excerpts from Darren Aronofsky, David Fincher, Tom Hooper, Joel & Ethan Coen, David O. Russell, Annette Bening, Natalie Portman, Michelle Williams, Javier Bardem, Colin Firth, Christian Bale, Mark Ruffalo, Charles Ferguson, Sebastian Junger
618. AIR DATE: 02/23/11 PROGRAM: Libya GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David D. Kirkpatrick, The New York Times (phoner via Medenine, Tunisia) /// Julianna Goldman, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// John Negroponte, Former Director of National Intelligence, Former U.S. Deputy Secretary of State, Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations (via Washington, DC) /// Ethan Bronner, The New York Times
619. AIR DATE: 02/22/11 PROGRAM: A Look at Libya from a Range of Perspectives GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Ben Wedeman, CNN (phoner via Libya) /// Ali Ahmida, University of New England (phoner via Portland, ME) / Khaled Mattawa, University of Michigan (via Ann Arbor) /// Charles Maxwell, Weeden & Co. /// Aaron David Miller, Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars (via Washington, DC)
620. AIR DATE: 02/21/11 PROGRAM: Libya / Kopp / Fuentes GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Libya: Dirk Vandewalle, Dartmouth College (via Hanover, NH) / Barbara Plett, BBC (via United Nations) /// Wendy Kopp, CEO and Founder, Teach for America; CEO and Co-Founder, Teach for All /// Carlos Fuentes, Author, “Destiny and Desire”
621. AIR DATE: 02/18/11 PROGRAM: Chris Matthews / Chris Anderson / James Kaplan GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Chris Matthews, MSNBC /// Chris Anderson, TED Curator /// James Kaplan, Author, “Frank: The Voice”
622. AIR DATE: 02/17/11 PROGRAM: Bahrain: Michael Slackman / Bobby Ghosh / Artificial Intelligence / Huffington & Armstrong GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Michael Slackman, The New York Times /// Bobby Ghosh, Time Magazine /// Richard Waters, Financial Times / Brian Christian, The Atlantic /// Arianna Huffington, The Huffington Post / Tim Armstrong, AOL.com
623. AIR DATE: 02/16/11 PROGRAM: Madoff Discussion / Berlusconi Discussion / James Taylor GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Madoff: Brian Ross, ABC News / Peter Lattman, The New York Times /// Berlusconi: Mario Calvo-Platero, Il Sole 24 Ore / Claudio Gatti, Il Sole 24 Ore / Anna Guaita, Il Messaggero ///
James Taylor, Singer-Songwriter
624. AIR DATE: 02/15/11 PROGRAM: David Brooks / Shady el-Ghazaly Harb / Dick Cavett GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Brooks, The New York Times /// Shady el-Ghazaly Harb, Protest Leader, Revolutionay Youth Alliance ///
Dick Cavett, Talk Show Host, Author
625. AIR DATE: 02/14/11 PROGRAM: Egypt: Sawiris / Journalists GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Naguib Sawiris, CEO, Orascom Telecom /// John Simpson, BBC News / Richard Engel, NBC News / Andrew Hammond, Reuters / Robert Fisk, The Independent
626. AIR DATE: 02/11/11 PROGRAM: Egypt – Mubarak Resigns (taped in Cairo) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Roger Cohen, The New York Times / Hafez al Mirazi, Al Arabiya /// Emad Shahin, University of Notre Dame / Aly Alaa, Protestor
627. AIR DATE: 02/10/11 PROGRAM: Egypt (taped in Cairo) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Max Rodenbeck, The Economist / David Kirkpatrick, The New York Times / Mona El-Naggar, The New York Times /// Thomas L. Friedman, The New York Times
628. AIR DATE: 02/09/11 PROGRAM: Hunt and Sanger / Annette Bening / Peter Bergen GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (Guest Host): David Sanger, The New York Times /// Anenette Benning, Actor /// Peter Bergen, Journalist
629. AIR DATE: 02/08/11 PROGRAM: Bill Gates GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Bill Gates, Co-Chair, The Gates Foundation; Philanthropist
630. AIR DATE: 02/07/11 PROGRAM: Egypt: Cohen / Logan / Nour / Abd El-illah GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Roger Cohen, The New York Times (Phoner via Cairo) /// Lara Logan, CBS News (via Washington, DC) /// Mounir Abdel-Nour, Secretary General, Wafd Party /// Mohamed Abd El-illah, Assistant Secretary General, NDP
631. AIR DATE: 02/04/11 PROGRAM: Egypt: Rodenbeck / Egypt: Dunne, Ignatius / Jobs: Goolsbee / Super Bowl: Esiason GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Max Rodenbeck, Middle East Correspondent, The Economist (phoner via Cairo) (segment taped in DC) /// Michele Dunne, Cornegie Endowment for International Peace / David Ignatius, The Washington Post (Segment taped in DC) /// Austan Goolsbee, Chairman, Council of Economic Advisors (via the White House) (segment taped in DC) /// Boomer Esiason, Former NFL MVP (via Fort Worth)
632. AIR DATE: 02/03/11 PROGRAM: Egypt: Doucet / Friedman / Kissinger GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Lyse Doucet, BBC (phoner via Cairo) /// Thomas L. Friedman, The New York Times (via Amman, Jordan) /// Henry Kissinger, Former Secretary of State
633. AIR DATE: 02/02/11 PROGRAM: Egypt / Wikileaks GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Brian Williams, NBC News (via Cairo) /// Mona El-Naggar, The New York Times (phoner via Cairo) /// Naguib Sawiris, CEO, Orascom Telecom (phoner via Cairo) /// Jake Tapper, ABC News (via Washington, DC) /// Bill Keller, Executive Editor, The New York Times
634. AIR DATE: 02/01/11 PROGRAM: Egypt / Barbara Walters GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David D. Kirkpatrick, The New York Times (phoner via Cairo) /// Marwan Muasher, Former Deputy Prime Minister, Jordan; Carnegie Endowment for International Peace / Robert Satloff, Washington Institute for Near East Policy /// Barbara Walters, ABC News
635. AIR DATE: 01/31/11 PROGRAM: Egypt Protests GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Tarek Masoud, Harvard Kennedy School / Fouad Ajami, Johns Hopkins University, Hoover Institution / Neil macFarquhar, The New YorkTimes, Author / Emad Shanin, University of Notre Dame (via Washington, DC) / Anthony Shadid, The New York Times (phoner via Cairo) /// Stephen P. Cohen, Institute for Middle East Peace & Development / Bruce Riedel, The Brookings Institution (via Washington, DC)
636. AIR DATE: 01/28/11 PROGRAM: Tim Geithner (from the World Economic forum, Davos) GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Tim Geithner, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury
637. AIR DATE: 01/27/11 PROGRAM: Charlie Rose Brain Series Highlights GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Highlights from the twelve episodes of the Charlie Rose Brain Series
638. AIR DATE: 01/26/11 PROGRAM: Middle East / Anthony Hopkins GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Robert Malley, International Crisis Group (via Washington, DC) / Marc Lynch, George Washington University (via Washington, DC) /// Anthony Hopkins, Actor
639. AIR DATE: 01/25/11 PROGRAM: State of the Union - LIVE GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Mark Halperin, Time Magazine / John Heilemann, New York Magazine / Jon Meacham, Author / Kamala Harris, Attorney General of California (via Los Angeles) / Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) / Gwen Ifill, PBS NewsHour (via Washington, DC) / John E. Sununu, Former Senator (R-New Hampshire) (via Washington, DC) / (Charlie Rose on location in Washington, DC)
640. AIR DATE: 01/24/11 PROGRAM: State of the Union Preview / Emanuel – Mayoral Election / George Shultz GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: SOTU: Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) / Julianna Goldman, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// Emanuel: Lynn Sweet, The Chicago Sun-Times (via Washington, DC) /// George Shultz, Former Secretary of State (on location in Washington, DC)
641. AIR DATE: 01/21/11 PROGRAM: Zhou Wenzhong / John Mack / Kenneth Roth / Richard Price Appreciation GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Zhou Wenzhong, Former Chinese Ambassador to the United States (via Washington, DC) /// John Mack, Morgan Stanley /// Kenneth Roth, Human Rights Watch /// Reynolds Price Appreciation
642. AIR DATE: 01/20/11 PROGRAM: Susan Rice / Jim Nantz GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Susan Rice, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, National Security Council /// Jim Nantz, CBS Sports
643. AIR DATE: 01/19/11 PROGRAM: Henry Kissinger GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Henry Kissinger, Former Secretary of State (in Washington, DC)
644. AIR DATE: 01/18/11 PROGRAM: Wu Jianmin / China / Trudeau GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Wu Jianmin, Vice Chairman of the China Institute for Innovation and Development Strategy, China Foreign Affairs University (via Washington, DC) /// Richard McGregor, Financial Times (via Washington, DC) / David Leonhardt (via Washington, DC) / Cheng Li, The Brookings Institution (via Washington, DC) /// Garry Trudeau, Creator, “Doonesbury”
645. AIR DATE: 01/17/11 PROGRAM: Martin Luther King, Jr. / Tunisia / Alan Riding GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: MLK: John Hope Franklin, Professor Emeritus of History, Duke University, Tom Brokaw, Former NBC Nightly News Anchor (Rebroadcast from 4/4/08) /// Tunisia: Taoufik Ben Amor, Columbia University / Malika Zeghal, Harvard University /// Alan Riding, The New York Times, Author, “And the Show Went On: Cultural Life in Nazi-Occupied Paris”
646. AIR DATE: 01/14/11 PROGRAM: NFL Playoffs / Bernard-Henri Lévy / Alex Gibney GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: NFL: Peter King, Sports Illustrated, NBC Sports / Boomer Esiason, CBS Sports, Former NFL MVP ///
Lévy, Philosopher, Author, “Public Enemies” /// Alex Gibney, Filmmaker, “Client
9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer”
647. AIR DATE: 01/13/11 PROGRAM: Obama’s Speech in Tucson / Patti Smith GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Sean Wilentz, Princeton University (via Los Angeles) / George Packer, The New Yorker / Ross Douthat, The New York Times (via Washington, DC) //
Patti Smith, Author /
648. AIR DATE: 01/12/11 PROGRAM: Obama in Tucson / Karen Armstrong GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Excerpts from President Obama’s Speech in Tucson /// Karen Armstrong, Author, “Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life”
649. AIR DATE: 01/11/11 PROGRAM: Tucson / Loughner Analysis GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: David Remnick, The New Yorker / David Brooks, The New York Times (via San Francisco) / James Fallows, The Atlantic Monthly (via Washington, DC) /// Jeffrey Lieberman, Columbia University / Roger L. Depue, Fmr. Chief, FBI Behavioral Sciences Unit / The Academy Group (via Washington, DC)
650. AIR DATE: 01/10/11 PROGRAM: Tucson Shootings – Williams / Meacham & Klein / Jack Dorsey GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Brian Williams, NBC News (via Tucson, AZ) /// Jon Meacham, Journalist / Ezra Klein, The Washington Post (via Washington, DC) /// Jack Dorsey, Chairman, Twitter Inc; CEO, Square Inc.
651. AIR DATE: 01/07/11 PROGRAM: Social Networks / Williams / Pearlstein GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Social Networks: Ken Auletta, The New Yorker / Michael Malone, Journalist (via Stanford) / David Krikpatrick, Author (via Las Vegas) /// Brian Williams, NBC News (remote via New York) /// Steven Pearlstein, The Washington Post (via Washington, DC)
652. AIR DATE: 01/06/11 PROGRAM: Politics: Halperin & Heilemann / Tim Wu / Edmund Morris GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Politics: Mark Halperin, Time Magazine / John Heilemann, New York Magazine (via Washington, DC) /// Tim Wu, Columbia University, Author, “The Master Switch” /// Edmund Morris, Historian, Author, “Colonel Roosevelt”
653. AIR DATE: 01/05/11 PROGRAM: Speaker Boehner / Robert Duvall GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Boehner: Rep. Chris Van Hollen, (D) Maryland (via Washington, DC) / Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// David Brooks, The New York Times (via Washington, DC) / Al Hunt, Bloomberg News (via Washington, DC) /// Robert Duvall, Actor
654. AIR DATE: 01/04/11 PROGRAM: New Congress / Afghanistan & Pakistan GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: New Congress: Al Hunt, Bloomberg News / Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, (R) Michigan (via Southfield, MI) / Judd Gregg, Former Senator (R – New Hampshire) (via Manchester, NH) / Gillian Tett, Financial Times /// Alissa Rubin, The New York Times / Rod Nordland, The New York Times
655. AIR DATE: 01/03/11 PROGRAM: China / Middle East / Technology in 2011 GUESTS/AFFILIATIONS: Zbigniew Brzezinski, Former National Security Advisor (via Washington, DC) /// Rashig Khalidi, Columbia University / Aluf Benn, Haaretz (phoner via Tel Aviv) /// David Carr, The New York Times